What is Meals on Wheels?
- A full course hot meal delivered to your home by friendly drivers.
Who Can Get Meals on Wheels?
- Anyone,of any age, who faces difficulty purchaing or preparing meals either through illness, recent hospitalization, disability, poor facilities or poor nutrition.
- Frozen meals are available for rural clients. These meals must be picked up from the hospital.
When are the meals available?
- Meals are delivered Monday to Friday, including statutory holidays, between 11:30 am and 12:00 noon.
- You may order a meal for every day or just on specified days.
- You may also order 3 meals on Fridays so you have them for the weekend.
- Frozen meals are also available.
- Frozen meals are not delivered.
- You can pick up a weeks' worth or more of frozen meals to be heated up on the day you want.
What is in a meal?
- A four (4) course meal consisting of a hot main course, dessert, soup and salad.
Who makes the meals?
- Meals are prepared fresh at St. Joseph's General Hospital, and served in disposable dishes.
- Special diets such as diabetic, low fat, low salt or minced are available.
- People with allergies and digestive problems can be given suitable foods.
How much do the meals cost?
- The cost per meal is $7.00.
- The hospital will bill you at the end of each month for the meals you received during that month.
- Payments are to be sent to the hospital.
How do I get started?
- To get your Meals on Wheels started please contact the Vegreville & District Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) office.
- If you are interested and wish to try a meal contact us and we can arrange this for you!