Roots of Empathy is a classroom based program that reduces levels of aggression among school children by raising social/emotional skills and increasing empathy.
The heart of the program is a neighbourhood infant and parent who visit the classroom every
three weeks over the school year.
This program is coordinated and delivered by a certified Roots of Empathy Instructor. Students are coached by this instructor to observe the baby's development, celebrate milestones, interact with the baby and learn about an infant's needs and unique temperament.
The Roots of Empathy Instructor also works with the class the week before and the week after each family visit to prepare and reinforce teachings. This is done by using a specialized curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for the students.
The goals of the Roots of Empathy program are to:
- Foster the development of empathy
- Develop emotional literacy
- Reduce levels of bullying, aggression and violence, and promote children's pro-social behaviours
- Increase knowledge of human development, learning, and infant safety
- Prepare students for responsible and responsive parenting
This program is in the following Vegreville schools:
- A.L Horton Elementary School
- St. Martin's Catholic Elementary School