FCSS provides programs and services to help people to continue to live an active, engaged, and independent life.
Our programs are here to:
- Help people maintain or improve their quality of life.
- Assist people in remaining as independent as possible.
- Strengthen people’s knowledge, involvement and connection to financial resources and tools.
- Encourage people to remain socially connected.
- Support families in coping with a family member's need for care.
- Provide informal/family caregivers with the support they need.
Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
Need a hand to prepare your income tax return?
The Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) is a collaboration between the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), Vegreville & District Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) and community volunteers to prepare income tax returns for people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
- Single Person: Under $35,000
- Couple: Under $45,000
- Adult with one child: $40,000
- Each additional dependent $2,500
Types of returns NOT prepared:
- Self-employment income
- Business or rental income and expenses
- Capital gains or losses
- Employment expenses
- Deceased during the tax year
- Filed for bankruptcy
STEPS TO GETTING YOUR INCOME TAXES DONE: “Drop-Off & Pick-Up”
- Starts March 1st
- Gather all your tax documents such as “T-Slips”, receipts, and photo identification.
- Make sure you have all your documents because missing information will delay processing.
- Come into the Vegreville & District FCSS office to drop off your tax documents.
- Complete and sign the intake form at the FCSS office.
- It will take 10 business days for your tax return to be completed then it will be EFILED so you don’t have to mail it.
- Pick-up your tax return (please bring I.D.).
- CRA does not permit FCSS to keep copies of tax returns or related documents.
Personal Income Tax Information
Helpful Links & Information
Government of Canada - Support and Services for Seniors
Vegreville Alberta Supports Centre
Address: 5121-49 Street
Vegreville, Alberta T9C 1S7
Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels is a full course hot meal delivered to your home by friendly volunteer drivers.
Who can get Meals on Wheels?
- Anyone, of any age, who faces difficulty purchasing or preparing meals either through illness, recent hospitalization, disability, poor facilities or poor nutrition.
- Frozen meals are available for rural clients. These meals must be picked up from the hospital.
When are the meals available?
- Meals are delivered Monday to Friday, including statutory holidays, between 11:00 am and 12:00 noon.
- You may order a meal for every day or just on specified days.
- You may order 3 meals on Fridays for the weekend.
What is in a meal?
The meal consists of a hot main course, soup, salad, and dessert. Substitutions are available.
Where do the meals come from?
- Meals are prepared fresh at St. Joseph’s General Hospital and served in disposable dishes. Special diets such as diabetic, low fat, low salt, or minced are available.
- People with allergies and digestive problems can be given suitable foods.
How much do the meals cost?
- The cost per meal is $7.00.
- The hospital sends a bill at the end of each month for the meals received during that month.
- Payments must be mailed or taken to the Hospital.
How do I get started?
- To get Meals on Wheels started please contact the FCSS office at 780-632-3966.
- If you are interested and wish to try out a meal contact us and we can make arrangements.
Drivers for Meals on Wheels are volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the FCSS office.
FCSS Subsidized Housekeeping Program
FCSS provides residents referrals to vetted housekeepers and helps process the necessary paperwork for subsidies. The program begins with a home visit and assessment from the FCSS Community Programmer to discuss the services needed, schedules and fees.
Financial assistance may be available from two different sources:
- Government of Alberta, Special Needs Assistance Program for Seniors – Information Booklet (March 2020); or
- Town of Vegreville, FCSS Department. To learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seniors Support Services
When life gets a bit more complicated the FCSS Community Programmer is available to support individuals, families, caregivers, and seniors’ facilities. Some of the reasons to call or make an appointment include:
- Looking for information about provincial and federal benefits for seniors.
- Need assistance with completing forms for government programs.
- Have concerns associated with aging, caregiving, or elder abuse.
- Would like some support with developing new programs for seniors.
- Looking for someone to help with snow removal, housekeeping, or other odd jobs.